I've put a lot of time and thought into how I'd like to raise my kids and what I want for them from the world. We live in a world where everyone is opinionated about everything, they share those opinions openly (and rather forcefully), and they insult and bully you if you disagree. I don't want that for my kids, but since I can't change the world, I will prepare them as best I can for it.
1. Embrace your weird. A phrase coined by (or at least thoroughly utilized by) Felicia Day. Don't try and fit in, because is no "in" to fit. "Normal" is a lie. It took me many years to accept that as the truth, and I'm still working on it some days.
2. Do you. A popular phrase in rap and hip hop music, and not exactly how I would word it, but I'll take it. Do what makes you happy. As long as you aren't hurting yourself or others, tell anyone who disagrees to f*ck off. And you can tell them I said so.
3. Try not to worry. There's this image floating around Facebook lately that says something like "I stress about stress before there's anything to stress about." That's me in a nutshell. I'm literally always stressed about something. It's annoying (and, dare I say, stressful). Things will work out, or they won't. Do what you can, then let go. Have faith that things will happen the way they're supposed to.
4. Be the best version of yourself. Don't strive for perfection, because you'll never get there and always feel like a failure. Strive to be the best "you" you can be.
5. Search for the truth. Don't just take someone's word for it. Ask questions. Be the annoying kid in class who always asks "why?" Do the research, put in the effort to find out exactly what is and why it is that way.
6. Don't be a sheep. Don't do it just because "everyone else is" and don't avoid something because no one else is doing it. You want to dance but the dance floor is empty? That just means more room for you to bust a move! Everyone is piercing their noses? Do you want a third hole in your nose? If you do, go for it, but if you're only doing it because your friends are, you've failed yourself.
7.Be honest. With yourself and others.
8. Be fair. Fair isn't equal, and equal isn't fair. Be fair.
9. Love with your whole heart. Even if it gets broken, it's always better to put 100% in rather than wonder if you could've done more.
10. Have fun. Work is good and important, but having fun needs to be a priority too. If you aren't enjoying your life, you're doing something wrong.
Get your daily Nerdy fix by following us on Instagram